geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Kirby" <ted.ki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running multiple instances of geronimo
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:34:29 GMT
Anita, keep up the good work! :)
I appreciate your efforts and documentation.
Please feel free to document the evolving steps and issues in the wiki
here: http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC20/multiple-repositories-and-server-instances.html

Ted Kirby

On 4/20/07, Anita Kulshreshtha <a_kulshre@yahoo.com> wrote:
>    Now the server instances can be run as follows:
> 1. create a directory in GERONIMO_HOME called say 'instance1'
> 2. copy 'var' directory to instance1.
> 3. edit instance1\var\config\config-substitutions.properties. Change
> portOffset to 10, 20, .. (or anything else).
> 3. set GERONIMO_OPTS=-Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=instance1
> 4. bin\startup
> 5.  To shutdown use bin\shutdown for the instance using 1099, and
> bin\shutdown --port=<rmiNamingPort> for others. The console can also be
> used.
> 6. To deploy from command line use:
>   bin\deploy ......... for instance at 1099
>   bin\deploy -port <rmiNamingPort> deploy ..................... for
> others
>   It would be nice if shutdown and deploy used same command syntax.
>     For the sake of uniformity, I would like to treat the server with
> name geronimo', i.e.
> gernimo:...j2eeType=J2EEServer,name=geronimo
>   as an instance. In other words it will be run from geronimo/var (not
> var). This will make a pristine copy of 'var' available all the time
> for creating new instances. This can be easily done by setting the
> property org.apache.geronimo.server.name=geronimo by default.

I like the notion of a pristine var to allow for easy instance
creation.  When you say "by default", are you suggesting that we ship
AG this way?  If this is done, then we must have geronimo and
geronimo/var directories in the shipped image.  I see those are small.
 Its the var/activemq/journals that are large (40MB), but they get
created after the instance is started.