geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: how do i get maven generated doc live?
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:09:05 GMT
On Apr 15, 2007, at 3:25 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Please update the permissions, these files should all be g+w, but
>> they are not:
>>
>>     drwxr-xr-x   4 sppatel   geronimo   512 Apr 15 08:20 devtools
>>
>> To fix run:
>>
>>     chmod -R g+w /www/geronimo.apache.org/maven/devtools
>
> Fixed.

Thanks.

>> It would also be really nice if you would use the same site skin
>> as the other Maven-generated site.  If you would have just used
>> the Genesis project-config pom as your parent then you would have
>> picked this up automatically.  I created project-config for a
>> specific reason... to allow common configuration to be shared.
>> But that only works if you actually use it.
>
> I think genesis may be too much for me too pull in, as I'm not sure
> what it all does.  So I'll just pick the pieces I need and if it
> ends up that it need alot of what genesis provides, then I can make
> use it as the parent.  But for now, I don't think that is the case.

project-config sets up the versions for commonly used plugins, which
needs to be done so you don't run into problems when someone releases
a new version.  It also sets up some profiles to support releases,
which still needs some work, its sets up some default reporting and
it configures the default skin for sites.

The whole idea behind project-config and using that as the parent for
top-level projects is to allow for common build configuration to be
shared between sub-projects in Geronimo.  I really don't understand
why folks are so resistant to actually using it, since it will save
from having to duplicate all that configuration, as well as helps
ensure that projects have consistent sites and use known versions of
plugins to prevent problems down the line.

What is in there now may not be perfect, and I'm willing to update it
so that its more usable by projects... but I really, really really
think we should use a common pom to hold all of these configuration
details.  I'm not really happy to find that new projects (or existing
ones) are not using these modules as they were intended.  In the end
its just going to cause us all more work to keep things in sync.

>> Are there actually any reports generated for these modules?  I did
>> a quick check and I just see the project-info reports.  And looks
>> like none of these modules have descriptions.  What is the point
>> of the Maven-generated site if you don't update the pom to
>> describe the module and enable useful reports?
>
> No not yet.  I was playing around with the site functionality for
> the first time, so I just trying to get something basic setup.  Sorry.

Um... more reason to use the project-config as a parent, since it
adds the default reports for you.

As we grow more and more projects its going to be more and more
important to have a single place to put all of this common build
configuration.  Right now that location is project-config, though I
have been considering moving that up to a top-level itself so its
just a simple module.

Anyways, I created all of that stuff for a reason, and I'm really not
so happy that folks aren't using it :-(

--jason