geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r528976 - in /geronimo/devtools/maven-plugins/trunk: maven-eclipse-plugin/ maven-geronimodevtools-plugin/
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:15:25 GMT
On Apr 15, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:
> These maven plugins are needed into order to build "eclipse-
> plugins".  I extracted them out for use with J2G.  Maven's eclipse
> plugin has made significant improvements since I initially created
> these plugins, but they still don't address many issues that are
> needed to build "eclipse plugins" or I don't like the way maven
> provides a solution to some of the issues that my plugins handle
> better.

Ya, I know the eclipse plugin has some faults.  Though it would be
nice to see us not need this custom plugin and get the changes needed
merged into the official plugin.  By the way, have you looked at the
pde-maven-plugin ( http://mojo.codehaus.org/pde-maven-plugin/ )?

> See...
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-Eclipse-
> and-Maven2/index.html.
>
> Also, there is no conflict with maven's eclipse plugin and this
> one.  So eclipse:goal still fine.

That is not true... or I would not have mentioned it... its not like
I just started using Maven 2 yesterday :-P

Your plugin will also get bound with the prefix "eclipse" due to the
artifact name.  And IMO that is bad practice to provide another
plugin that uses the same prefix as the core plugins (like the maven-
eclipse-plugin).

Yes, it might work asis, but it is a bad practice.

--jason