geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: G 1.2 && xmlbeans-maven-plugin 2.0.1-20060627.031204-7
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:27:58 GMT
The problem with pinned snapshots is that they are not propagated to
mirrors, and so by using one of them in a release we basically
increase the chances that the codeline will not be buildable in the
future.  We would need to add the artifacts into the local repository
module to avoid this problem.

Just because we use the explicit timestamp-buildnumber version for
this artifact doesn't mean its not longer a SNAPSHOT, because in
reality it is still a SNAPSHOT, in a transient repository and for all
we know could be removed tomorrow.

I hope that we can give long lives to our release tags, so that
months or years later one could check one out and it would build.  If
we allow bits like pinned snapshots into a release we most certainly
cut the build-ability life of the release much shorter.

--jason