geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: GroupId generated by Database wizard
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:15:04 GMT

On Mar 9, 2007, at 8:20 AM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:

>    The Database Pool wizard generates console.dbpool as groupId for
> the
> generated rar. The version is always 1.0. I think the groupId
> should be
> o.a.g.something and the version should match geronimo's version.
>    Suggestions?

I disagree.  If you are building something to be included in
geronimo, then o.a.g.configs would be the appropriate groupId.
However I think that the console dbwizard will mostly be used by
other organizations to generate configs for their projects.  So the
groupId should really by the groupId for their project.

What I'd like to see is a place to set an installation default
groupId so if your project is org.foo.bar then all deployments where
you don't explicitly set the groupId come out with groupId
org.foo.bar, whether you start from the command line, the console
deployer, or one of the wizards.

An installation default version would also be good.  At some point we
might want to consider an autoincrementing versioning scheme where if
you redeploy something you automatically get a slightly higher
version number and the old is undeployed after the new is verified to
work.  This ought to make rolling back mistakes easier.

Previously I assumed we needed version ranges to deal with this but
it occurs to  me that the artifact_aliases file could provide more
precise control over exactly which version is used.  e.g. you'd map
version 1.2 to 1.2-1, then 1.2-2, etc, where the -x is added by the
deployer.

  A lot of this is for the future, but it might not be too hard to
add a way to set the installation default groupId and version.  A
simple gbean might do.

thanks
david jencks