geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Getting ready for G 1.2 release?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 04:02:16 GMT
On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:47 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> I think the yoko release is on the way if not out.

Hrm... anyone know for sure?

> Jiras && my opinion:
>
> GERONIMO-433  	 Tolerate non-Sun JREs
> has anyone tried this? with yoko it ought to work

Would be good to have someone try IBM's JDK at least.

I just checked the source code, only one place I could find "import
com.sun" was in SubjectCarryingProtocolTest, and its commented out:

<snip>
     // import com.sun.security.auth.login.ConfigFile;
</snip>

> GERONIMO-2918  	 Have the ActiveMQ broker configured from an
> external configuration file by default
> I'm not sure this is such a great idea, but I'm not sure.  Actually
> I wonder about making an amq config builder that can read these
> files natively (and also gbeans etc).  This is probably too much
> for 1.2.

While I agree that it would be kinda better to use the activemq.xml
file to configure the broker... I don't think this has a chance of
getting into 1.2 (or 2.0 for that matter).  I'm also not sure that we
can collectively agree this is a good idea either.  We may want to
update the gbeans/console muck at some time to make it easier to use
the XML-based configuration, but again... not gonna happen anytime
soon IMO.

> GERONIMO-2927  	 Cannot rebuild Geronimo with external ActiveMQ
> XBean configuration because Spring Framework is missing
> This seems pretty important.  I think this involves adding spring
> to the amq-broker config and hiding it in the amq config, a couple
> minutes + testing.

Hrm... this might get fixed when/if the above gets fixed.  But seems
like if one is changing the source to use a specific features, then
one might need to update the poms to add new deps too.

We should probably include some kind of short documentation on how to
use an external activemq.xml with G 1.2, which may include adding
some jars to the repo... but *should not* require rebuilding
anything.  So if we need to add dependencies to the car to prevent
needing someone to rebuild the car to use the features I think we
should do it.  Otherwise documenting the jars to put into the repo
and how to enable the external activemq.xml file is probably sufficient.

--jason