geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Why do we keep growing new Confluence spaces?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 22:30:31 GMT
On Mar 9, 2007, at 6:10 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>> Seems like we keep sprouting up new spaces in Confluence... I
>> don't think this is a very good idea.  I'd like to see some of
>> these spaces condensed, probably moving some of the content to
>> GMOxSITE.
>> Why is there a GMOxSAMPLES space?  Seems like this just contains a
>> single-page per version with links to the GMOxDOC<version> space.
>> IMO this space should go away.
> GMOxSAMPLES it has been there for some time,

Ya, maybe... I just really noticed it though ;-)

> it's just now that I had some time to link the samples from there.
> My ultimate goal for this space is to physically move all the
> sample applications from all the other spaces here and then point
> to those samples from the from the version specific documentation
> spaces. Makes more sense to me to have all the Geronimo sample
> applications  consolidates in one space.

I don't think this is a great idea.  I would rather see the samples
in the GMOxDOC* spaces.  I don't see why they need to live in their
own space.

>> GMOxPMGT also strikes me as a space that should not exist... its
>> content should probably end up in GMOxSITE.
> Partially agree, the only thing I see as a disadvantage is that the
> updates would be limited to only committers. I would say that,
> historically, 50% of the updates to this space are made by non-
> committers. I would rather have this info up-to-date and deal
> myself with the synch form brutus to mino. Just my thoughts.

It looks like the bulk of the content in this space is not really
meant for non-commiters to update anyways.  Besides, I think we only
want *one* space which is for traditional wiki-style user driven
content.

>> Going forward, as we move closer to having multi-site stitching
>> implemented to get these exported pages served up from http://
>> geronimo.apache.org, its going to be more an more important not to
>> keep growing new spaces where they aren't really needed.
>> IMO, the *less* spaces we have the better... and right now I think
>> we have way too many.
>> Apache Geronimo (GMOxSITE)
>> Apache Geronimo Development (GMOxDEV)
>> Apache Geronimo Documentation (geronimo)
>> Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base (GMOxKB)
> We could move KB to the site. Updates to this space are not that often

No, this is one space that is a space because it really needs its own
namespace for pages.  The other spaces (GMOxSAMPLES and GMOxPMGT)
have limited content and don't really need a separate namespace at all.

>> Apache Geronimo Project Management (GMOxPMGT)
>> Apache Geronimo Samples (GMOxSAMPLES)
>> Apache Geronimo SandBox (GMOxSBOX)
>> Apache Geronimo TCK (GMOxTCK)
> This TCK space is private, we don't export it so I wouldn't really
> count it as one. ;-)

I was just listing all of the spaces we had... no intent to collapse
them all, just showing what we have currently.

>> Apache Geronimo v1.0 (GMOxDOC10)
>> Apache Geronimo v1.1 (GMOxDOC11)
>> Apache Geronimo v1.2 (GMOxDOC12)
>> Apache Geronimo v2.0 (GMOxDOC20)
> We will continue to grow spaces in this dimension.

Aye, and I think that is acceptable and expected.

>> Geronimo_MoinMoin_wiki (GMOxMoinMoin)
> I can nuke this space this space if nobody objects. For
> "sentimental purposes" we have a bkp from the old MoinMoin wiki
> here http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSBOX/gmoxmoinmoin-backup.html

Yes, nuke this if you can... though I recall you had issues removing
it before?

--jason