geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: What is the deal with geronimo-javaee-deployment_1.1MR3_spec
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:42:55 GMT
On Mar 29, 2007, at 8:06 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> artfifactId=geronimo-javaee-deployment_1.1MR3_spec
> version=1.0-SNAPSHOT (IIRC, but its' value is irrelevant)
> groupId=org.apache.geronimo.specs
>
> the spec version is 1.1MR3
>
> It follows the agreed upon conventions for geronimo spec naming.

I think we should reconsider the convention.  And use the artifacts
version to contain *all* of the version information.  Since the
current convention's version is mostly irrelevant anyways, I suggest
that we use the spec's version + revision number (counter) as the
version.

That makes the above look like:

     artfifactId=geronimo-javaee-deployment-spec
     groupId=org.apache.geronimo.specs
     version=1.1MR3-1-SNAPSHOT

And when released the version would be:

     version=1.1MR3-1

This indicates the spec version and a revision count for how many
update/iterations we have applied to it.  When its time to make a new
revision then we'd have:

     version=1.1MR3-2

And when the spec version changes to say 1.2, then we'd have:

     version=1.2-1

IMO this is *much* more natural and allows us to use the Maven
dependencyManagement section to manage all version information
effectively for child modules.

--jason