geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jarek Gawor" <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject SAAJ integration help
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:13:11 GMT
I started looking into SAAJ integration. And that appears to be a much
more work than I initially thought. Here's the background info. In
Java EE 5 we have to support both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS web services
(both might be deployed in the same module). Right now JAX-RPC support
is provided by Axis1 and JAX-WS support is provided by either Axis2 or
CXF. Both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS endpoints must support SAAJ.  Both Axis1
and Axis2 have their own implementations of the SAAJ API. Axis1
implements SAAJ 1.1/1.2 and Axis2 implements SAAJ 1.3. CXF uses
Glassfish 1.3 implementation.
My initial idea was to use Axis2 SAAJ for Axis2/Axis1 assembly and
Glassfish SAAJ for CXF/Axis1 assembly. However, I'm not sure what
would be the effects on Axis1 when Axis2 or Glassfish SAAJ
implementation is used because I think Axis1 expects its own SAAJ
implementation. So things might just blow up in this case.  I also
assume that we will need to update Axis1 code to implement the SAAJ
1.3 API (e.g. to throw OperationUnsupportedException(), etc.)

Assuming things do blow up what are our options for supporting two
different SAAJ implementations? Or do we need one common SAAJ
implementation?

I have an idea how maybe we can support two different SAAJ
implementations by setting a context classloader to force a given
implementation to be used but I'm not sure how reliable it will be.

Jarek