geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Lasantha Ranaweera <lasan...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Request for GSOC project ideas
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:32:15 GMT
Hi Isuru,

This one of my ideas want to share with you since it looks you have good
experience in Axis2  & web services stuff (anyway I haven't done any
preliminary investigation stuff relating to this idea so don't know
exactly what kind of barriers have to face in such implementation too).
Here is my rough idea (I hope you will get much better web services
related ideas than this from Geronimo list considering your WS related
experience ;-) ).

As a J2EE/JEE application server Geronimo provides services like EJB,
JMS etc. to multi tier applications. Some of these services are using
RMI/CORBA as there underlying communication protocol between the server
application & clients. Can we replace RMI/CORBA with web services for
such J2EE services? It will give user more consistent service access
interface and eliminate port open issues etc. I have seen this idea has
implemented successfully for JDBC  services and eliminating JDBC drivers
from client side in some of UG final year projects.

Also we have to consider will this kind of implementation benefit
Geronimo since it is not a part of J2EE/JEE5 specs to my understanding.
:-)

HTH,
Lasantha Ranaweera