geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Upgrade Pluto to 1.1? (was Re: What are we using Castor for?)
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:41:23 GMT

Jason Dillon wrote:
> How modular is the existing console code?  I'm thinking that some work
> is probably needed to make it more modular, so that the existing
> functionality could be split up into smaller domain-specific modules and
> then deployed into the console app.  Right now it looks like a big app,
> would like to see each of the major bits as a separate module... to help
> keep things orderly and prevent spaghetti code (which I've already
> started to notice when I looked at some Derby and AMQ-related console
> bits last).

What is there isn't very modular.  We've discussed this before.  We need
to make the console architecture a bit more modular so that the console
management components could added as functions that they manage are
added.  For example, adding an EJB management portlet with EJB functions
to a minimal Geronimo assembly.  The down-side is that there are no
standards here, so it would be Geronimo specific.

> How much _heavier_ is Jetspeed2 vs. Pluto?  I know that J2 now uses
> Pluto (though not sure what version, hopefully its 1.1).  I'm all for
> lightweight... but I'm also okay with a little bit of extra pounds if it
> makes the console application easier for app developers/sysadmins to
> plugin/customize their own administration bits.

I think that we need to keep things light-weight for the web console.
We're already catching grief for the footprint.

The other aspect here is that users would like portal capability to
exploit for their purposes and not just for Geronimo administration.
There was some discussion on this in the past too.

For customer use something like Jetspeed2 or Liferay may make more
sense.  For an embedded administration console for Geronimo use Pluto
provides the necessary functions with a smaller footprint.

IMO the ideal solution would be:
- Improve the modularity of the console components such that management
could be installed with a function.  This is really an orthogonal
discussion but was raised here because Pluto 1.1 provides some necessary
features to make this a reality.
- Continue to ship Geronimo using Pluto (1.1) as the default portal for
our administration console.
- Provide the capability to install/run the console on other Portal
solutions such as JetSpeed2 or Liferay if deployed on Geronimo.  I guess
in these situations we could support running two portals (one for
Geronimo and a user Portal) but that eliminates any possible integration
between user portlets and Geronimo admin portlets.

Joe