geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Blythe" <cjblyth...@gmail.com>
Subject Daytrader logging...
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:31:01 GMT
After working with Glassfish (Sun Server 9) as part of the DayTrader/EJB3
development effort, it dawned on me that our logging configuration might be
too tightly coupled to Geronimo and may not be that portable to other
application servers. The DayTrader Logger class depends on Apache
commons-logging which is fortunately provided by the Geronimo core. However,
as I found with Glassfish, not all application servers commons-logging to
provided their logging/tracing infrastructure.

I had some thoughts on how we could make logging within DayTrader more
portable. Here are a few ideas...

1) Package the dependent jars (common-logging, log4j, etc.) within the ear
as part of the maven build process. Also include a default set of logging
config properties files.

2) Modify DayTrader to log all messages to system.out or system.err.

Overall, I think option 1 provides the best mix of portability and
flexibility. By including the dependent logging jars within the application,
we are no longer dependent upon the application server to provide the jars.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Chris