geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Kirby" <ted.ki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Property substitution in config.xml implemented
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:46:11 GMT
Brilliant!
Yeah, this is a great extension to my paltry start... :)
Thanks,

Ted Kirby

On 3/3/07, David Jencks <djencks@apache.org> wrote:
> Following Ted Kirby's idea of property substitution in config.xml
> files (GERONIMO-2735) I applied and modified his patch.  Jason Dillon
> had a jexl expression evaluator lying around so I replace the
> evaluation code in the patch with the jexl stuff, so now you can use
> expressions in your substitutions.
>
> The substitutions are in a new file, default location var/config/
> config-substitutions.properties.  This is used to evaluate
> expressions in config.xml.  I implemented a small example in geronimo-
> jetty6-jee5 for the jetty connectors, using
>
> hostName
> httpPort
> httpsPort
> portOffset.
>
> You can override a value in the properties file with an environment
> variable or a system property.  Therefore, to start a server on a
> different set of jetty connector ports, you can say:
>
> java -DportOffset=1 -jar bin/server.jar --long

I particularly like how this elegantly addresses the multiple server
instances port numbering issues, to make it very easy to define
multiple server instances.  Just give a server name and port offset,
and you are set.  Now, if I can only locate where port 4200 is set...
:)
(See my user posting here
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.geronimo.user/5966 .)

Ted Kirby