geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Differences between jetty6-jee5 and tomcat6-jee5 config.xml files?
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:07:57 GMT
On 3/20/07, Donald Woods <drw_web@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But if we add it to the tomcat6-jee5 config.xml, wouldn't that allow a
> user to set load=false on it if they also disabled the webconsole?

Currently if a user disables webconsole in the tomcat assembly then
the dojo module will no longer start automatically unless some other
application (like daytrader) has also specified a dependency against
it.  So as it stands right now, the dojo module's startup behavior is
dependent on some application actually requiring the static resources
that it serves up.  I think that is desirable behavior since the dojo
module really serves no purpose other than to provide a shared copy of
the dojo library to webapps in a server or in a cluster.

If the dojo module was explicitly added to config.xml then users might
enable it when its not needed (how would they know?) or disable it
when it is needed.   Actually I'm not sure what happens if you
explicitly disable a module in config.xml that another module depends
on.. would the dependent module fail to start?

> Also, shouldn't we list all installed configurations by default, so
> users can better understand which ones are being provided by the
> assembly, like users deploying Daytrader or other end user apps that
> want to use our provided Dojo files?

I think that could be useful as long as maven could automate the
creation of that file and its still easy to customize and find the
important bits in it.  We could also just point the user towards the
list-modules CLI and the modules portlet for gathering that type of
information.  I think I would prefer those over config.xml but all
users are different.

Best wishes,
Paul