geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I'm going to break "automatic" tomcat jsf support for a couple of days
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:41:23 GMT
> > Also, do you intend to add the myfaces classes directly to the
> > webapp's classloader instead of the current approach which relies on
> > them being available in a parent configuration of the tomcat and jetty
> > configs?  If so then we could reconsider the specialized
> > MultiParentClassLoader searching for TLDs that we have in place right
> > now.  We might end up deciding to leave that in place but we should at
> > least think about it...
>
> That's my intention, and can you point me to the searching code you
> are talking about?

The specialized TLD searching code that I am referring to was introduced here:

The basic problem was that by default Jasper looks for TLDs in the
webapp's classloader and then looks for TLDs in its parent
classloaders by calling ClassLoader.getParent().    This technique
works in standalone tomcat and in other containers that have simpler
ClassLoader structure.  But in Geronimo this technique does not locate
the JSF TLDs in classloaders of the webapp's parent configurations
because those classloaders can only be reached via Geronimo's
MultiParentClassLoader.getParents().

If we now decide to add the MyFaces jars (and their dependencies?)
directly to the webapp's classloader at deployment time then I think
Jasper's default technique for locating TLDs might suddenly work.  But
that doesn't necessarily mean we should remove the specialized TLD
searching that Geronimo now provides to Jasper because it allows
Jasper to find, for example, the JSTL TLD in a webapp's parent
configurations.

Best wishes,
Paul