geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: New openejb deployer has very different assumptions than the rest of the deployment system-- not compatible with offline deployment
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:47:31 GMT

On Feb 11, 2007, at 4:04 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2007, at 6:54 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Feb 10, 2007, at 3:02 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> The new trunk openejb-deployer module requires the openejb module
>>> to be running (started) due to a reference from the deployer
>>> gbean to the OpenEjbSystem gbean.
>>>
>>> This means that you need an entirely started geronimo server to
>>> deploy any ejbs. In particular this is inconsistent with the idea
>>> of the offline deployer, which we need to assume won't open any
>>> ports.
>>>
>>> Previously we went to a lot of trouble to make sure that every
>>> bit of deployment code ran without any runtime components
>>> started.  I would like to know if this new dependency is
>>> intentional, and essential.  I don't think we should introduce
>>> such a very large change in philosophy about the geronimo server
>>> architecture without  discussion.
>>
>> Should be easy to fix.  Is there an offline deployer somewhere I
>> can update?
>
> The list of modules started for the offline deployer is in var/
> config/offline-deployer.list, but gianny has a better way to run
> the offline deployer in the works.
>
> However, I don't see how that is relevant to my comment.

Sorry, but I don't really get what to put what where.  OpenEJB-wise,
I can get you an online deployer and an offline deployer as fast as
flicking a switch -- we support both.  I'm just trying to understand
what do to on the Geronimo side.

We only have one config for an openejb-deployer.  Do we want an
online one (capable of adding containers etc based on the needs of
the app) and an offline one or just an offline one or just an online
one?

I'm cool with whatever.

-David