geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse Tooling for Geronimo 2.0
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:28:22 GMT
Hi Shiva,

There hasn't been much positive feedback around it, but I still
strongly believe there is value around geronimo specific
annotations.  If not yet used by the runtime, having them atleast for
development purposes would be great.  Is this something you could
look into? Currently in the sandbox there are some geronimo specific
annotations but there are xdoclet based.  Perhaps this work could be
ported over to 175 by creating an annotation processes for them.
(There are extensions in the Eclipse Platform to allow to create
processors for 175 annotations).  If we could have a working
prototype of something like this then we could perhaps better
evaluate the need for it.

So for now the question regarding 175 specific annotations for
Geronimo breaks down into two peices..

(1) Provide 175 annotations that the annotation processor would run
against during a workspace build that would generate the necessary
xml (like xdoc today)
(2) Runtime -- Allow geronimo specific 175 annotations that are not
processed in the IDE, but referenced and resolve at runtime.  (Like
all the rest of the JEE annotations)

-sachin