geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Moving plugin-support bits out of Genesis into Mojo?
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:07:50 GMT
On Feb 24, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On 24 Feb 07, at 8:22 PM 24 Feb 07, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> Folks, I'm thinking about moving the plugin-support module out of
>> Genesis and into the Mojo project.  A few plugins I maintain there
>> already use some parts of this, but the classes were simply
>> duplicated.
>>
>> I'm also planning on updating the groovy-maven-plugin at the Mojo
>> project to have the same features as the script-maven-plugin from
>> Genesis, and that plugin uses a quite a bit of the support fluff
>> in plugin-support.  I've talked to Jeff already about this and he
>> seems fine with it.
>
> I would much rather see the Groovy stuff work the same way as the
> Beanshell and Ruby mojos. What is the script-maven plugin exactly?
> Some BSF thing?

The script-maven-plugin is really just an advanced groovy-maven-
plugin which I whipped up to support getting better scripting into
Maven, which we now use extensively in the TCK harness.

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/genesis/plugins/script-maven-
plugin/index.html

I had planned on adding other scripting-related muck here, though
turns out that Groovy was all I needed, so the name is legacy.  Its
basically a much more configurable/flexible implementation of:

     http://mojo.codehaus.org/groovy-maven-plugin/

AFAIK, BSF-like execution isn't rich enough, unless I re-write the
engine to allow customizing the classpath/scriptpath, etc... and even
then I'm not sure it will cut it.

This is *not* for writing mojos, but for allowing groovy Scripts to
be run inside of Maven.  The difference might be a bit subtle, but
there are some times when you just need a tiny bit of scripting to
solve a problem, and the work to create a Maven plugin, vote/stage/
release it so that it can be used is just not worth the trouble.

  * * *

I still have some of the work I did to make richer Groovy plexus
components around too, which is to help make Mojo's with Groovy, but
I have not had time to deal with merging my bits into the bits under
Mojo's mojo-sandbox/groovy-maven-tools stuff.  This stuff is more
along the lines of the Beanshell and Ruby mojo support stuff you are
refering too... ie. writing Maven plugins with Groovy.  But the
groovy-maven-plugin (script-maven-plugin in Genesis) are focuses not
on building plugins, but allow projects to invoke small Groovy
scripts (or bigger ones, as it the case with the Geronimo TCK harness).

--jason