geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New openejb deployer has very different assumptions than the rest of the deployment system-- not compatible with offline deployment
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:04:15 GMT

On Feb 10, 2007, at 6:54 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2007, at 3:02 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> The new trunk openejb-deployer module requires the openejb module
>> to be running (started) due to a reference from the deployer gbean
>> to the OpenEjbSystem gbean.
>>
>> This means that you need an entirely started geronimo server to
>> deploy any ejbs. In particular this is inconsistent with the idea
>> of the offline deployer, which we need to assume won't open any
>> ports.
>>
>> Previously we went to a lot of trouble to make sure that every bit
>> of deployment code ran without any runtime components started.  I
>> would like to know if this new dependency is intentional, and
>> essential.  I don't think we should introduce such a very large
>> change in philosophy about the geronimo server architecture
>> without  discussion.
>
> Should be easy to fix.  Is there an offline deployer somewhere I
> can update?

The list of modules started for the offline deployer is in var/config/
offline-deployer.list, but gianny has a better way to run the offline
deployer in the works.

However, I don't see how that is relevant to my comment.  The offline
deployer shouldn't be starting runtime components, so the current
offline-deployer-list should continue to be correct (as far as
openejb goes anyway, maybe not cxf/axis2).  Looking at the current
openejb module plan I see that it won't open any ports but does
require the transaction manager to start up which attempts full
transaction recovery.  This is really not appropriate for offline
deployment.

thanks
david jencks