geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: New openejb deployer has very different assumptions than the rest of the deployment system-- not compatible with offline deployment
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:04:15 GMT

On Feb 10, 2007, at 6:54 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2007, at 3:02 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>> The new trunk openejb-deployer module requires the openejb module
>> to be running (started) due to a reference from the deployer gbean
>> to the OpenEjbSystem gbean.
>> This means that you need an entirely started geronimo server to
>> deploy any ejbs. In particular this is inconsistent with the idea
>> of the offline deployer, which we need to assume won't open any
>> ports.
>> Previously we went to a lot of trouble to make sure that every bit
>> of deployment code ran without any runtime components started.  I
>> would like to know if this new dependency is intentional, and
>> essential.  I don't think we should introduce such a very large
>> change in philosophy about the geronimo server architecture
>> without  discussion.
> Should be easy to fix.  Is there an offline deployer somewhere I
> can update?

The list of modules started for the offline deployer is in var/config/
offline-deployer.list, but gianny has a better way to run the offline
deployer in the works.

However, I don't see how that is relevant to my comment.  The offline
deployer shouldn't be starting runtime components, so the current
offline-deployer-list should continue to be correct (as far as
openejb goes anyway, maybe not cxf/axis2).  Looking at the current
openejb module plan I see that it won't open any ports but does
require the transaction manager to start up which attempts full
transaction recovery.  This is really not appropriate for offline

david jencks

> -David

View raw message