geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject New openejb deployer has very different assumptions than the rest of the deployment system-- not compatible with offline deployment
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:02:54 GMT
The new trunk openejb-deployer module requires the openejb module to
be running (started) due to a reference from the deployer gbean to
the OpenEjbSystem gbean.

This means that you need an entirely started geronimo server to
deploy any ejbs. In particular this is inconsistent with the idea of
the offline deployer, which we need to assume won't open any ports.

Previously we went to a lot of trouble to make sure that every bit of
deployment code ran without any runtime components started.  I would
like to know if this new dependency is intentional, and essential.  I
don't think we should introduce such a very large change in
philosophy about the geronimo server architecture without  discussion.

thanks
david jencks