geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: XBean web site
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:35:51 GMT
On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:22 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>> I completely disagree.
>> I believe that Geronimo should also use Confluence to support
>> generation of the website.  Aside from a few minor issues, and the
>> lag time from export to live, I don't see any reason not to use
>> Confluence in this manner.  It has been on my TODO list for quite
>> some time, I did an initial POC, but got sucked up into TCK-land
>> which has been taking up most of my time.
>> I actually don't think that the current Geronimo website xdoc
>> +script thing is very good and it should go soon.  Its not very
>> friendly, people tend to forget steps and corrupt the site, and
>> its not easy to add new content to.
> I know, we are all sucked up into other priorities that we need to
> attend to. The POC in the cwiki looks great (I would chop off the
> JIRAs from the home page though ;-) and once we get those plugin
> issues fixed we should move over Confluence right away. I'll help
> out in any way I can ;-)
> But, until we get there, we should not disrupt what we have working
> today, no matter how much we would like to be using a different tool.

I think we could be there... just needs a wee bit more love.  I don't
see any of the bugs in AE as blockers.

The biggest issue for me was I hated the 1+ hour sync time from cwiki
change to live content... that really pissed me off and I ended up
dropping at the time.

> btw, let's discuss the plugin issues and solutions on a different
> thread, let me know when you have some time to look at it because
> I've been also trying to get some fixed already. AFAIK there is no
> other place for keeping track (discussing actually) of this issues
> and fixes other than http://could.it/bugs/browse/EXP

Whats to discus?  I'm aware of some of the problems... but I don't
think that any of them prevent us from using the GMOxSITE space for
geronimo.apache.org.

>> Blah... each different part of the site has a slightly different
>> look to it... I don't think this matters all that much right now.
>> While once we get all websites into Confluence, then I think it
>> should be easy enough to get them all kinda looking the same.
> We do have a consistent look & feel all across the web site, we
> should keep it that way

Eh... yes and no... click on the user/dev list links in the top-nav,
or the issue tracker.  Or click on any link that takes you to cwiki.
Aside from the hideous mbox junk and jira, the only thing that is
consistent is *part* of the page header (the blue bar with the G logo).

I don't consider this really consistent.

>>> Bottom line, I think we should be consistent in the way we
>>> present the web site and the way we maintain it.
>> Sure, and lets be consistent and use Confluence ;-)
> Be careful what you wish for, another joining subproject could come
> in using MS Front Page :-0

Highly, highly, highly... HIGHLY... unlikely :-P

--jason