geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject online/offline deployers - ModuleConfigurer Registration
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:00:31 GMT
Hi,

I am ready to check-in some changes to the way online and offline
deployers are booted and configured such that ModuleConfigurer can be
easily registered with the JMXDeploymentManager.

As per David J. suggestion, deployer.jar now boots a Kernel and
starts a list of configurations to register the ModuleConfigurers.
The list of configurations to start is named jsr88-configurer-
config.xml and it is no more no less a persistent configuration list
file (a file a la config.xml). In this file, there is a module
declaration for each type (jar, rar, war and ear) of ModuleConfigurer
implementations. When the deployer is started in offline mode, an
additional set of configurations is started to register the relevant
builders. This additional list of configuration is named offline-
deployer-config.xml and it is also a persistent configuration list file.

A couple of problems I am aware of:
1. ModuleConfigurers and ModuleBuilders classes are still in a same jar.
2. offline-deployer-list will be dropped and no more supported (it is
replaced by offline-deployer-config.xml).
3. the JMXDeploymentManager instances used by the maven plugins do
not have access to the ModuleConfigurers.

As a result of these changes, we can get ride of a couple of jars
currently in lib and load them from the repository. You can expect to
see in lib a sub-set of the dependencies imported by geronimo-system.
We could have a sub-set of the dependencies imported by geronimo-
kernel if we move some classes around (e.g. the Maven2Repository).

I intend to commit these changes over the week-end. So, let me know
if you have any concerns or if you want me to first address 1, 2 or 3.

Thanks,
Gianny