geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: web.xml
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:02:07 GMT

 From http://weblogs.java.net/blog/gmurray71/archive/2006/02/
servlets_update.html

So what big changes were made in Servlet 2.5?

     * ServletContext.getContextPath() - Ever wonder what the context
root was for your web application? This API is a long need addition.
     * Annotations - Added annotations for Java persistence, web
service, declaring roles, run as, and EJBs. We did not add
annotations for decarling servlets, filters, and listeners in this
release though this will be a topic of discussion in the next servlet
release.
     * Resource Injection - Resource injection is a way of injecting
references of container managed resources such as data sources,
environment entries, or web services into container managed
components such as servlets, filters and listeners. Support for
resource injection was added for Java Enterprise Edition containers.
     * web.xml Changes- Removed the need to have a web.xml in web
applications without servlets, filters or listeners. Some
conveniences for declaring components in the web.xml were added.

-sachin