geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NamingBuilder.buildEnvironment(...) broken
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:13:26 GMT

On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:38 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> This is really for David Jencks since I think he is the only one
> that understands this code....
>
> In the createModule phase of deployment, the code must build the
> Geronimo environment object so we can create a class loader.  Most
> of the data for this object comes from the geronimo-*.xml
> deployment plan, but the naming builders can add additional
> dependencies to the environment.  Basically, the naming builders
> inspect the specDD and vendorDD to see if either is using a naming
> ref that the builder handles, and if so the builder adds the
> dependencies the application will need to use that reference object.
>
> The problem is in JEE5 reference objects are defined in class
> annotations, and to read these annotations you need a class loader,
> and to get a class loader you need an environment object, and to
> get the environment object you need to process the references in
> the annotations.  As you can see we have a chicken and egg problem.

I thought david blevins wrote something in xbean to use asm to find
these annotations explicitly to avoid loading the classes in a class
loader??

> I suggest that in the short time (while Jencks figures out how to
> modify the builders for Jee5), we hard code the naming builders to
> always add their dependencies.
>
> What do you think?

If we actually need a classloader that's a reasonable short term
solution.

If we actually do need a classloader then we should be able to
construct one that will work from the environment BEFORE we run any
naming builders.  The naming builders should only be adding server
components that the app should not be expecting to be in its
classpath automatically.

I thought the plan was to first scan all the classes for annotations
and turn them into xml, and then process the xml as at present.
Where in the deployment lifecycle do you expect these steps to
happen, or do you have a different idea?

thanks
david jencks