geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.0 Milestones - Assemblies and Certification - Do we need 8?
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:25:33 GMT
On Feb 10, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2007, at 3:55 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> I think this would be great, especially if we adapted the assembly
>> stuff we have now so you could extract a server that had just what
>> you wanted in it.  Then we could supply just one download and let
>> people simplify it themselves if they wanted to.
>
> I like it. The size delta would be a minor issue, IMO.
>
> I'd be in favor of this as a general approach. A few points:
>
> 1. I'd like to maintain two multi-personality distributions -- a
> minimal and Java EE distribution.

Does minimal include a web-container?

> 2. IMO, the distributions must have a default configuration.
> Downloading and starting a server must be simple (i.e. no selection/
> configuration is required).

Yes, the server should check when bootstraping if it has been
configured with a personality, if not, it will select the default and
continue... so the user does not have to explicitly configure a
personality.

> 3. I would not want this to be the cause of a significant delay in
> the 2.0 release

Ya, hopefully not... else we can leave it for 2.1... I do think this
is a good idea.

--jason