geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Next 2.0 Milestones - Assemblies and Certification - Do we need 8?
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:37:58 GMT
I know everyone is working feverishly on 2.0 so I'll make this
brief.  There are a few things that we need to discuss as the train
keeps moving.

First, I'm working on DayTrader 2.0 this week to get the beast
deployed on 2.0.  Basically the initial goal is to deploy what we had
working for 1.2-beta and 2.0-M1 which I think will be a fair but not
exhaustive test for the converter.

Next, regarding assemblies.  Right now we've been producing two
assemblies which are the traditional Tomcat and Jetty assemblies with
CXF as the web-services component and OpenJPA as the EJB persistence
option.  I think we all agree that certifying 8 different assemblies
is not workable as getting two done generally is a herculean task.
That said, I think we want to make sure that projects that want to be
part of a certified version have the option to make that happen.
Since those that are doing the work tend to define what gets in and
what ships it seems reasonable to me that the folks doing TCK can
choose a configuration that they are interested in testing.  There
are no limits to the number of people that can TCK a release so the
sky is the limit.

For the JPA folks and WebServices folks I wanted to get a feel what
your thoughts are on this topic.  Part of the discussion is how easy
is it to include one component versus another and I'll be the first
to admit I'm not really well versed with WebServices to have an
opinion on integration options.  It seems that JPA is fairly simple
in terms of plugging in a persistence provider and the user selecting
the one they want.  Dain had mentioned on an earlier e-mail about
having a similar plug point for WS and I don't think there was a lot
of discussion at the time.  Given where we are at now what are folks
thoughts on a plugin option for WebServices?

If there is a plugin option then I think the TCK discussion becomes
simpler.  Anyway, for those more skilled in that art than I what are
the community thoughts on how to address our expanding set of
pluggable components?

I'd like to have the discussion in this thread and if we need to put
a vote together to provide a direction we can do that later.

Thanks

Matt