geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: contributor license
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:55:44 GMT
Hi Don,

Glad to hear your interested in Apache Geronimo (or your company is
as the case may be ;-)

To provide a little context for contributing to Apache Geronimo.
Folks that are working on the project are viewed in the context of
their individual contributions as opposed to the company's they work
for.  At the end of the day it will be you who is involved and
helping out.  Generally there is a series of events that take place
as people contribute to the project.  In general we all start out as
individual contributors that are interested in fixing bugs, testing,
developing parts of the runtime, etc.  I'm not sure what specific are
you are interested in, perhaps you can elaborate.  Regardless of the
area, people start out by participating through e-mail, contributing
patches (through JIRA) and building their karma in the community
through continuous involvement.  At some point, depending on the
individual's involvement, people will recognize their consistent
contribution, community participation, etc. and recommend that the
community consider offering them commit.  When their is a consensus
on this in the community (this takes place on the PMC list which is
private) you would be notified of the offer to become a committer.
At that point Apache requires the CLA be signed and they are provided
a userid.  You can certainly send in the CLA now if you like so it
will be on file and that would be great.  However, sending in the CLA
does not move someone closer to commit, rather it is their individual
contribution.

We look forward to your participation in the community.  Is there a
specific area you are interested in or other questions we can answer?