geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JTAStats
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:30:24 GMT

On Feb 20, 2007, at 6:16 AM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:

> Thanks Dain and David! I started with JTAStats thinking that the
> transaction manager (TM) must be keeping track of all the decision it
> makes and it will be a piece of cake to get the stats! Here are the
> things I need to understand:
> 1. What is a JTAResource? If it is the TM then its type should be
> JTA_RESOURCE.

I think it's the TM.  Maybe the j2eeType got confused when Dain too
out the extra layer of wrapping?

> 2. IIUC, the JTAstats include only the JTA transactions. The
> information about individual resource managers can be gotten from the
> resource managers. This information will include all transactions (JTA
> and non JTA).

I don't know of any way to track non-jta transactions in general.  We
could for an interface we know about such as jdbc, but for a
"generic" j2ca connector we have no way to detect what it regards as
the transaction control mechanism or indeed what it might think a
transaction is.

> If I have to only consider the JTA transaction, will it
> not be easier for the TM to keep track of the number of transactions
> committed/rolledback/active?

As dain suggested, I think  that the best way to implement this with
a listener/monitor, and have the tm notify on transaction start, and
the transaction to notify on transaction completion.  Someone else
might want to listen for these events and having the statistics
tracking in a separate class will keep the functional transaction
code simpler.

thanks
david jencks