geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.0 Milestones - Assemblies and Certification - Do we need 8?
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:59:08 GMT
On Feb 10, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
> I like the idea but I wonder how practical it will be and if users
> could get themselves in trouble.
>
> For example, what would happen if a set of applications was
> deployed using tomcat & cxf and then the user attempted to switch
> to jetty & axis?  Granted, with the plugin approach they could
> create similar problems but since it's a little more difficult to
> install/uninstall a plugin which might provide some more safeguards.

Um... well, plugins should not be difficult to install... and neither
should it be difficult to switch personalities.  Both *should* be
ridiculously simple.

If something dangerous might happen, then issue a warning and get a
confirm prompt from the user.

But just because it might mess something up does not mean that we
should not provide it as a feature.  Hiding or omitting dangerous (or
potentially dangerous) features from users is a very bad practice
IMO.  We can provide some safeguards (ie. confirm prompt), but we
need to empower users to make those decisions, and well... if they
muck it up, they muck it up.  Not like installing a bunk CAR or
poorly crafted plugin won't do the same thing now.

> I guess we could always keep track of the previous state and warn
> the user if they are attempting to change the configuration on a
> subsequent restart when applications are deployed that have been
> configured for the prior configuration.

Aye... on each personality switch I would expect a big warning about
"things might not work afterwards", just like any other brain
surgery, there are going to be some risks.  But if we had a simple
way to switch, then we could probably help ensure that each component
behaved well with the others.  Unlike brain surgery though...
hopefully if something does break, switching back to the previous
personality would work.

--jason