geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.0 Milestones - Assemblies and Certification - Do we need 8?
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 04:57:04 GMT
On Feb 10, 2007, at 8:40 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Aye... on each personality switch I would expect a big warning
>> about "things might not work afterwards", just like any other
>> brain surgery, there are going to be some risks.  But if we had a
>> simple way to switch, then we could probably help ensure that each
>> component behaved well with the others.  Unlike brain surgery
>> though... hopefully if something does break, switching back to the
>> previous personality would work.
>
> It would be pretty nice to be able to switch.  I'm wondering how
> many people would be doing this though.  It might be like trying to
> change your spark plugs while driving down the highway at 75 miles
> an hour :)

I'd imagine that most people would just use it once to configure the
personality of the server they wanted/needed.

Sure, some would switch back and forth, but they would be in the
minority I'd expect.

Many would not care at all and would use the default personality
which would get applied automatically the first time the server started.

Switching between would probably be used mostly by automated tests to
help ensure component interop.

But... really, the point is to reduce assemblies and distributions
which we build, but still allowing folks a choice of what components
are actually getting used for their applications.

--jason