geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 2.0-M3 Release
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 02:35:46 GMT

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I have gotten past the hurdles and present for your reviewing pleasure
> Geronimo 2.0-M3.
>
> All assemblies as well as source are available.
> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/2.0-M3-rc1
>
> I have tested a few of the assemblies by deploying and running DayTrader
> and now its your turn.
>
> This vote will conclude Saturday at 1800 Eastern time.

Way to go Matt!!!

Here's what I observed.

Building from source zip:
- At first I tried just to build using mvn.  This failed because it was
looking for a car-maven-plugin with version 2.0-M3.  jdillon then
reminded me that I needed to run bootstrap first.  mvn -Dstage=bootstrap
failed with missing:
org.apache.cxf:cxf-rt-transports-http:jar:2.0-incubator-RC-20070213210000
org.apache.cxf:cxf-rt-frontend-jaxws:jar:2.0-incubator-RC-20070213210000
  ... Do these jars need to be added to the local repo in the image?
I'm not certain that it is essential to be able to build from the image
source.

Binary images:
- I started all 4 server images ... played with a few portlets on the
web console for the jee5 images, and deployed a simple war file.  All
that went fine.
- One annoying thing was that after having started the server images
using the startup script I couldn't terminate them using the shutdown
script.  I received this:
org/apache/geronimo/deployment/cli/StopServer
   ... However, I could still shut it down via the web console (in the
case of the jee5 images).  We could probably just document that it must
be terminated via the web console and recommend java -jar to start the
minimal images so that ctrl-c can be used to terminate it.

thoughts?

Given that this is a milestone I'm +1 even with these issues.  I think
could document the shutdown problem and make the cxf jars available
someplace for download.

Joe