geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon and commons-cli
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:22:36 GMT
On Feb 27, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Say what?
>
> Will -v, -vv and -vvv stop working?  If yes, then I don't think we
> should switch as what we have is currently working fine.

Sorry, perhaps I was unclear before.

-v, -vv will continue to work (-vvv didn't work before, but will
start to work after the change).

What I was explain was pure semantics about which were options.

Currently these are separate options:

     -v
     -vv

With commons-cli using the posix parser, both of these become one
option:

     -v

Which can be given multiple times, as in:

     -vv
     -vvv
     -vvvv

Works, basically the same as the '-v' option to SSH:

<snip>
      -v      Verbose mode.  Causes ssh to print debugging messages
about its
              progress.  This is helpful in debugging connection,
authentica-
              tion, and configuration problems.  Multiple -v options
increase
              the verbosity.  The maximum is 3.
</snip>

The main difference is (other than how its implemented) is when
looking a --help, it won't show a '-vv' option, just a '-v' option
with some docs that specifying it more than once increases the
verbosity.  Another side affect is that one can also do:

     -v -v -v

which ends up the same as:

     -vvv

Make more sense now?