geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.0 Milestones - Assemblies and Certification - Do we need 8?
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:54:40 GMT

On Feb 10, 2007, at 3:55 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I think this would be great, especially if we adapted the assembly
> stuff we have now so you could extract a server that had just what
> you wanted in it.  Then we could supply just one download and let
> people simplify it themselves if they wanted to.

I like it. The size delta would be a minor issue, IMO.

I'd be in favor of this as a general approach. A few points:

1. I'd like to maintain two multi-personality distributions -- a
minimal and Java EE distribution.
2. IMO, the distributions must have a default configuration.
Downloading and starting a server must be simple (i.e. no selection/
configuration is required).
3. I would not want this to be the cause of a significant delay in
the 2.0 release

View raw message