geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.0 Milestones - Assemblies and Certification - Do we need 8?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:32:33 GMT
> I'm definitely *NOT* in-favor of 8 assemblies.

Ditto.  Even if there was time and manpower to test every possible
assembly then I still don't think the end user would be prepared to
make an informed choice about which one to download.

> On Feb 8, 2007, at 6:37 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> > If there is a plugin option then I think the TCK discussion becomes
> > simpler.  Anyway, for those more skilled in that art than I what
> > are the community thoughts on how to address our expanding set of
> > pluggable components?

I think that presenting the user with lots of choices is a good thing
if geronimo can  :
  1.) provide a TCK tested default assembly
 2.) help users make informed decisions about changing the defaults
 3.) make it easy to enact their decisions
 4.) allow them to change their minds later

With that in mind, I think the ideal scenario (from a user's
perspective) would be to provide one fully tested JEE5 assembly from
the download page and then make it easy to swap out components after
installation using plugins.  Components that have passed the TCK in
any assembly can be marked as such in the plugin catalog, along with
any other useful information about that component such as which JEE
spec it implements, etc.  Components that are mutually exclusive like
cxf and axis2, jetty and tomcat, etc can provide metadata that will
prompt the plugin system to uninstall the component that is being
replaced.

There are lots of details and what-ifs that would need to be worked
out before this approach can be fully realized.  But if there's
consensus around it then the next release could at least take a step
in the right direction.  AFAIK most if not all of the necessary
functionality and infrastructure are already in place.

Best wishes,
Paul