geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <>
Subject Re: 3rd consecutive day with build breaks!
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:50:42 GMT

I wasn't trying to point the figure at anyone but since we've had
continuous breakage's over the past few days, wanted to stress the
importance of the impact and make sure everyone in the community is
doing their part trying to minimize the number of future build breaks.

Now watch me be the one breaking the build tommorow :)

On Feb 7, 2007, at 2:39 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2007, at 6:06 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:
>> So we've had alot of recent build breaks, IIRC, this is the third
>> day in a row.  In most cases, these breaks are caused by something
>> that got overlooked, either forgetting to check in files,
>> publishing snapshots, etc..  Though these issues are small, they
>> tend to cause disruption and block day to day progression.  These
>> break-ages can be easily avoided with people being more careful
>> and taking necessary steps to prevent this.
>> (1) If there are changes to external dependencies, make sure these
>> dependencies are published prior to commiting.  Many of us are
>> committers in other projects and the tendency is to rely on
>> locally built snapshots of those rather then published snapshots.
> FYI, I've been doing that pretty much continuously with OpenEJB
> (i've got a setup on people for publishing).  Not sure what
> happened to last night's build/publish.
> -David
>> (2) Make sure you're committing all necessary files if new files
>> are introduced.  To ensure this, if that means doing a new
>> checkout and build of the tree to ensure that nothing got missed,
>> then this would be good habit :)
>> (3) Always try to do a full build.  I know sometimes is easy to
>> think, hey this is a one line change, it won't break anything, but
>> I think its better to take these types of protective measures.  I
>> think taking an additional 15-20 minutes by each of us to first
>> build is well worth the time to avoid the hours it can take to
>> resolve the simplest of build breaks.
>> (4) Periodically everyone should run builds with clean
>> repositories so we can catch any overlooked dependency issues early.
>> Is there anything else that we can do to minimize breakage's?
>> Thanks.
>> -sachin

View raw message