geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Moving plugin-support bits out of Genesis into Mojo?
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:18:13 GMT

On 24 Feb 07, at 9:07 PM 24 Feb 07, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> On 24 Feb 07, at 8:22 PM 24 Feb 07, Jason Dillon wrote:
>>
>>> Folks, I'm thinking about moving the plugin-support module out of
>>> Genesis and into the Mojo project.  A few plugins I maintain
>>> there already use some parts of this, but the classes were simply
>>> duplicated.
>>>
>>> I'm also planning on updating the groovy-maven-plugin at the Mojo
>>> project to have the same features as the script-maven-plugin from
>>> Genesis, and that plugin uses a quite a bit of the support fluff
>>> in plugin-support.  I've talked to Jeff already about this and he
>>> seems fine with it.
>>
>> I would much rather see the Groovy stuff work the same way as the
>> Beanshell and Ruby mojos. What is the script-maven plugin exactly?
>> Some BSF thing?
>
> The script-maven-plugin is really just an advanced groovy-maven-
> plugin which I whipped up to support getting better scripting into
> Maven, which we now use extensively in the TCK harness.
>
>     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/genesis/plugins/script-maven-
> plugin/index.html
>
> I had planned on adding other scripting-related muck here, though
> turns out that Groovy was all I needed, so the name is legacy.  Its
> basically a much more configurable/flexible implementation of:
>
>     http://mojo.codehaus.org/groovy-maven-plugin/
>
> AFAIK, BSF-like execution isn't rich enough, unless I re-write the
> engine to allow customizing the classpath/scriptpath, etc... and
> even then I'm not sure it will cut it.

It's not. I'm not a fan of BSF and never used it in Plexus for
scripting.

> This is *not* for writing mojos, but for allowing groovy Scripts to
> be run inside of Maven.

So like that Ant Run plugin essentially.

> The difference might be a bit subtle, but there are some times when
> you just need a tiny bit of scripting to solve a problem, and the
> work to create a Maven plugin, vote/stage/release it so that it can
> be used is just not worth the trouble.
>
>  * * *
>
> I still have some of the work I did to make richer Groovy plexus
> components around too, which is to help make Mojo's with Groovy,
> but I have not had time to deal with merging my bits into the bits
> under Mojo's mojo-sandbox/groovy-maven-tools stuff.

You'll welcome to Plexus access if you want to push any groovy bits
into the sandbox if you've improved it. The Groovy Plexus is not
update-to-date and not quite up to snuff.

> This stuff is more along the lines of the Beanshell and Ruby mojo
> support stuff you are refering too... ie. writing Maven plugins
> with Groovy.  But the groovy-maven-plugin (script-maven-plugin in
> Genesis) are focuses not on building plugins, but allow projects to
> invoke small Groovy scripts (or bigger ones, as it the case with
> the Geronimo TCK harness).

Fair enough, but the plumbing could still all be the same I would
imagine.

Thanks,

Jason.