geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Prasad Kashyap" <goyathlay.geron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: samples project question
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:25:14 GMT
> Okay, fair enough... by why are you calling it "samples-parent"?
> Usually -parent modules are themselves top-level projects with no
> children, which are used to hold common pom configuration.
>
> I'd recommend simply calling the module "samples" instead.

The top level is called "samples" already. Maybe "samples" and
"samples-parent" should switch names.

> And we may even want to just make a samples module in the server
> tree, since it looks like you are branching this project when the
> server is branched.  It may be better to add this module to the
> server project and simply make it build optionally.

Yeah. I thought of that option too. The first major drawback I saw
there was in the possibility of increasing the size of the server
tree. If Hernan eventually gets (us) to migrating his entire sample
collection from 1.0 to whatever is latest, then we will be
unnecessarily wasting time during svn co of our server tree.

Next, we all know that you plan to break the server tree and make it
more modular. Anticipating such a re-org, I thought I'd save you some
trouble by putting it as a peer to specs and server. And now you don't
like it :-(

http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=8652849&framed=y

> --jason

Cheers