geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Conversion Tool and OpenEJB 3.0 integration status -- please read and ask questions :)
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 07:05:10 GMT
Reposting this info with more details.

So the 10,000 foot perspective is that we are creating a conversion
tool to convert the prior openejb-jar.xml into the new set of
descriptors (geronimo-openejb.xml, new openejb-jar.xml, jpa entity-
mappings.xml).  It is expected that all existing plans will work and
no one will have to or even *should* migrate just yet.

We are doing this for two reasons:

  1.  There is significant investment in current descriptor format.
These come to mind:
        - TCK
        - DayTrader
        - iTests
        - Samples
        - All documentation to date
        - All user-land apps to date

  2.  The new plans will not be stable for a good long while.
Primary reasons are:
        - Continued work in integration (security, webservices,
corba, etc.)
        - Continued work implementing JavaEE 5

So the big motivation for the conversion tool is that with some hard
work from Dain and I up front (and for a while really), we can save a
few hundred developer and user hours over the next couple months.
We're very close to having something running and hope to see
something basically working by the end of the week.

If we're really lucky after this week we can hide all the change
under the conversion tool and no one (but the people working on and
maintaining the conversion tool that is) will have to feel the pain
or frustration while things move underneath.  As we enable things
like security people won't have to update their plans, we'll just add
more conversion logic to port that information over and put it into
action.

I can say that the spirit of the new descriptor files is to fully
embrace the "anti-descriptor" focus of Java EE 5 and to be as small
and contain as little requirements as possible.  Hopefully when the
day comes to move over (not soon), it will more be a matter of
deleting than adding.  There will definitely be lots of
experimentation in that area, so we'll see.

As always, thoughts and questions very welcome and encouraged.

-David