geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject meta-modules to group dependencies
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:22:07 GMT
Anyone have any oppinon on creating meta-modules to group
dependencies that are commonly used together?

For example, in most places where xmlbeans is a dep, so is stax, as in:

     <dependency>
         <groupId>xmlbeans</groupId>
         <artifactId>xbean</artifactId>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
         <groupId>stax</groupId>
         <artifactId>stax-api</artifactId>
     </dependency>

We could create a meta-module, which simply defines these as
dependencies, then use the meta-module as a dependency to simplify
some of the commonly used dependencies.

This could also be used to allow better support for picking up
versions of dependencies when we build the CTS server for TCK
testing.  For example, right now we have to include versions for
openejb and yoko in the CTS build:

    <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.openejb</groupId>
         <artifactId>openejb-core</artifactId>
         <version>2.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.openejb</groupId>
         <artifactId>openejb-corba</artifactId>
         <version>2.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.openejb</groupId>
         <artifactId>openejb-yoko</artifactId>
         <version>2.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.yoko</groupId>
         <artifactId>yoko-core</artifactId>
         <version>1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.yoko</groupId>
         <artifactId>yoko-spec-corba</artifactId>
         <version>1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.yoko</groupId>
         <artifactId>yoko-rmi-spec</artifactId>
         <version>1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.yoko</groupId>
         <artifactId>yoko-rmi-impl</artifactId>
         <version>1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

IMO it would be better if there was some module in the server build
which had these dependencies so that CTS always gets built with the
correct version.

  * * *

Anyways, just a thought... meta-modules might help reduce some
dependency configuration by centralizing dependency groupings.

Any thoughts?

--jason