geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <>
Subject Re: JSR-88 1.2 Proposed Design for Geronimo Annotation Processing
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:29:14 GMT
On Jan 24, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On 1/22/07, Jarek Gawor <> wrote:
>> Tim,
>> A couple of questions on the design/implementation:
>> 1) Since the module builders will get an updated deployment
>> descriptors, in general, the annotation processors in Tomcat, Jetty,
>> Web services, EJB, etc. will just need to lookup the resources in
>> JNDI, right?
> IIUC the changes made last night in rev 499336 allows EjbRefBuilder to
> scan for and process @EJB annotations in webapps, making them
> available via JNDI to tomcat's  annotation processor.   This approach
> is similar to what Tim proposed but a little different because it
> places the responsibility of scanning for annotations into the
> builder's hands, and doesn't merge them into the DD.  That leaves it
> up to Geronimo's implementation of JSR-77 to handle the merging, but
> has the advantage that error messages caused by incorrect DDs won't be
> misleading.

This is not supposed to be a final solution.  It is really a hack to
make it easier for users to try out our new EJB 3 features.  The
biggest issues with this hack is it scans all classes in the web
application looking for ejb-ref annotations, which means it will find
refs more than servlets.  The final solution should only scan the
servlet classes plus whatever the other specs need, and the results
should be merged back in to their respective dtds.

View raw message