geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: M2 Status - branch on Wednesday ?
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:17:37 GMT

On Jan 15, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Based on the previous discussions about releases it looks like were
> about ready to branch for M2.  Release notes are coming together
> and lots of other improvements to M2 have been added.  I think the
> big thing we need to flush out is the EJB 3.0 integration at its
> current level.

We can certainly flush out what we have at its current level.  That
level would be 'does not run any apps of any kind', is that cool? ;-p

We agreed to an extremely aggressive date (2.0-M2) because it's just
so much better to get the EJB 3 stuff in M2 to give it a really big
attraction, but it's extremely extremely extremely tight.  But we'll
get there or die trying.  Sometimes you have to take one for the team
and do whatever it takes to make that happen.

>   Being the eternal optimist I'm expecting that Dain's EJB 3.0
> integration will be flawless :) and that we can branch for M2 this
> Wednesday.

It'll be quite flawed, we're going for "minimally function".  High
priorities are:

  1.  Basic invocations
  2.  JNDI references to the ejb
  3.  JNDI references from the ejb
  4.  Transaction support

If were really lucky(er) priorities:
  - Security integration

Not going to happen:
  - Web Services Integration
  - Corba integration

In this list we're still fighting with priority #1 as to get there
requires the most upfront work in deployment etc.  Working from a
timetable of hours counting down to zero, this nut should crack soon
but hasn't cracked yet so can't say exactly which hour.

>   We'll do a bit of fit and finish that we need to do so we'll spin
> a release up for review by Thursday with the next milestone out by
> the end of January.
>
> Any thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

-David