geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why is GERONIMO_HOME not passed into the server?
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:26:43 GMT

On Jan 27, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2007, at 5:38 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> I think in order to allow multiple instances to work off of the
>> same installation effectively we need to have a tiered repository
>> support, so that each instance could include a shared read-only
>> repository (the system repository), and then a read-write
>> repository (instance repository), where artifact resolution would
>> first check the instance repo, then the system repo.
>>
>> If we do want to start supporting this, I suggest we also revisit
>> the basic server's file structure, as we will need to insert a
>> hierarchy for the instance data.
>>
>> --jason
>

> IWhat if we started somthing in var like:
>
> ./var/servers/server.n
>
> The server.n sould be some arbitrary name that users would identify
> the names of the server instance.  We would look in the instance
> tree first and if something wasn't found we'd look in the main
> tree.  Is that what you meant?

IIRC we discussed this fairly extensively a long time ago and
concluded that what made the most sense was  to keep the var
directory structure the same as it is now but allow relocating it, so
that's what's currently implemented.  So, the expected directory
structure would be

<geronimo_base>/servers/server.n/var

I don't see any value in having a hierarchy here: I think that each
item should be present in exactly one place.  For instance if you
have identical artifacts in 2 repos I'd regard that as an error,
although since they are identical it wouldn't matter which one you
picked.   Could you provide an example of something your proposed
search strategy would be useful for?

thanks
david jencks