geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Why is GERONIMO_HOME not passed into the server?
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:53:56 GMT
On 29/01/2007, at 3:56 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2007, at 3:48 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>
>> On 28/01/2007, at 7:26 PM, David Jencks wrote:

<snip>

>>> I don't see any value in having a hierarchy here: I think that
>>> each item should be present in exactly one place.  For instance
>>> if you have identical artifacts in 2 repos I'd regard that as an
>>> error, although since they are identical it wouldn't matter which
>>> one you picked.   Could you provide an example of something your
>>> proposed search strategy would be useful for?
>>>
>> i think that this may be useful in some very specific scenario.
>> For instance, a developer may want to upgrade some dependencies
>> used by a module his team is working on in a sandbox. If he simply
>> drops a newer version in the shared repository, then all the
>> developers will see the newer version upon server restart. This
>> can be avoided by updating the artifact_aliases property file of
>> each developer; however, this is less transparent than a solution
>> based on an hierarchical dependency resolution mechanism.
>>

> I don't think I understand what you have in mind yet.  I would
> expect that in a setup with multiple servers the stuff that's
> specific to a particular server would be in the server-specific
> repo we've been talking about.  So if you want to upgrade a
> dependency to a newer version you'd put the newer version in your
> server-specific repo where your apps would find it but no one
> else's apps would.  The only scenario I can think of so far where
> this wouldn't work is if it's a snapshot dependency so the old and
> new files have exactly the same file name.  I really think we
> should NOT support anything that tries to distinguish between 2
> files with the same artifact Id.  If people want to have different
> versions of a snapshot artifact in the server they should all be in
> server-specific repos.

I was trying to consider the case where a non server-specific
dependency is to be upgraded. I was wrongly believing that artifact
version resolution was returning the highest version available of the
first Repository storing the to be resolved Artifact. Following your
comment, I checked the artifact resolution approach implemented by
DefaultArtifactResolver and I now understand why hierarchical
dependency resolution is useless. Thanks for taking the time to
explain it.

Gianny