geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Assemblies assemblies everywhere and which one to ship?
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:56:57 GMT

On Jan 12, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> How easy is it to install a set of plugins from the command-line?
>
> And don't plugins require a remote repository to hold the
> archives?  While I think that this is good to allow installation of
> custom plugins, I don't think its good to use a remote repo to
> install system components.  I'd rather ship everything in one
> assembly, and then have a simple command-line tool to allow
> customization of what is installed.
>
> I'm no expert on how plugins currently work, but it is my
> understanding that it is not that easy to configure a server to use
> a set of plugins from he command-line (or driven off of a
> configuration file).  For build automation and TCK testing it would
> be a PITA to require the console and then need to automate clicks
> to setup the right configuration for testing.
>
> Eventually... I think that everything (except the core kernel and
> deployment system) should be in some self-contained plugin, which
> could be zipped up in an archive, or as a set of xmls and jars
> which could be deployed into the server.
>
> My understanding is that we are not really to that point yet,
> hopefully once 2.0 is out we can focus on some of these usability
> and configuration issues.

Can't one of the maven plugins install geronimo plugins?  e.g. the
car-maven-plugin?  I think its the same as installing a config/module
into a server under construction like we do in the assemblies.

I think there's a command line deployer option to install a plugin
but I'm not sure I've used it.

My idea with the abandoned installer project was to start with a
basic server (what joe has as "framework" I think) and add configs/
plugins from a maven repo inside the installer jar.  I still think
this is the way to build an installer.

Another possibility for something you can download is one server with
all the configs/plugins in it and a lot of different config.xmls for
different purposes.  A script could copy the appropriate config.xml
in place and then prune the server's repo so only the stuff used in
the config.xml is left.  A slight variation on this would start with
a basic framework config.xml and scripts would enable various configs/
plugins, followed by pruning.

Lots of promising ideas, so little time.

thanks
david jencks