geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why is GERONIMO_HOME not passed into the server?
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2007 01:09:52 GMT
AFAIK support for everything needed to do this is already there, all
you need is another module with an additional repository which might
be located by default in var/repository.

Existing command line properties:
-Dorg.apache.geronimo.home.dir=/path/to/geronimo/home speciifies
where the geronimo installation (bin dir etc) are located.  I haven't
figured out how this is useful yet.... but its there.
-Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=foo makes geronimo look for var at
<geronimo_home>/foo
-Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.dir=/path/to/var/dir specifies where var
is as an absolute path (if you don't supply a absolute path, its the
same as "name")

We support running with multiple repositories, and deploying to a
specific repository with a deployer command line argument
java -jar bin/deployer.jar -target repo-name

All we need is to add another module/configuration that has a
repository gbean and a config store gbean pointing to var/
repository.  I think this should be a plugin.

So, I don't think this requires any code, just someone to write the
module plan and check everything works.  I don't see how this affects
the server file structure except for the already present capability
to relocate var.

Not everyone will want to have a separate per server additional
repository for running many servers off one files system copy.  For
instance if all the servers use the same apps you might as well
deploy them all to the regular repository.

thanks
david jencks

On Jan 27, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> I think in order to allow multiple instances to work off of the
> same installation effectively we need to have a tiered repository
> support, so that each instance could include a shared read-only
> repository (the system repository), and then a read-write
> repository (instance repository), where artifact resolution would
> first check the instance repo, then the system repo.
>
> If we do want to start supporting this, I suggest we also revisit
> the basic server's file structure, as we will need to insert a
> hierarchy for the instance data.
>
> --jason
>

> On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at this recently interms of being able to run
>> multiple oag instances out of the same filesystem.  This means we
>> need to identify several different points in the filesystem.  This
>> is not exhaustive but really for discussion since Ted brought it up.
>>
>> One is the location of the Geronimo server.  I'll refer to this as
>> $GERONIMO_HOME.  This directory is the root of the Geronimo
>> installation.
>>
>> The next Location is the $GERONIMO_INSTANCE which would contain
>> the parts of the repository that an individual instance would
>> need.  This would include a repository, var entries for config,
>> logs, etc.  One approach would be to make the GERONIMO_INSTANCE be
>> a shadow of the normal dir structure for GERONIMO_HOME that is
>> only populated with items that are different from the base
>> install.  I think this would include things like:
>>
>> ./repository
>> ./lib
>> ./var/log
>>         config
>>         activemq
>>         howl
>>
>> The above is not exhaustive but for discussion.  It would be
>> useful for multiple server instances to have their own repository
>> for installing applications so that individual instances would be
>> seperate and could actually be managed with different OS userid
>> authentication.  If GERONIMO_HOME was not the same as
>> GERONIMO_INSTANCE then the dir tree for instance would be searched
>> first and if a file wasn't found then we could then look in
>> GERONIMO_HOME.  Write access would always (as far as I can tell)
>> be in the GERONIMO_INSTANCE tree.
>>
>> I'm not sure how deeply we need to flush this out but at a high
>> level I think we should rev the kernel to support the above for
>> 2.0 so we don't have to modify the way it operates down the road.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> On Jan 27, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Ted Kirby wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Jacek.  That is a good suggestion.  Here is what I have
>>> come up
>>> with in thinking about a patch:
>>>
>>> The server java code has two directory notions: base, used with
>>> ServerInfo.resolve(), and baseServer, used with
>>> ServerInfo.resolveServer(). Base can be set with the oag.home.dir
>>> system property, and baseServer can be set with the
> [...]
>>> oag.server.name system properties (where oag is short for