geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Kirby" <ted.ki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is GERONIMO_HOME not passed into the server?
Date Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:39:32 GMT
Thanks Jacek.  That is a good suggestion.  Here is what I have come up
with in thinking about a patch:

The server java code has two directory notions: base, used with
ServerInfo.resolve(), and baseServer, used with
ServerInfo.resolveServer(). Base can be set with the oag.home.dir
system property, and baseServer can be set with the oag.server.dir and
oag.server.name system properties (where oag is short for
org.apache.geronimo).

The geronimo script uses GERONIMO_HOME for the bin directory, and
GERONIMO_BASE for the lib and var directories.  If GERONIMO_BASE is
not set, it will set it to GERONIMO_HOME.  Finally, on java
invocation, it sets the system property oag.base.dir to GERONIMO_BASE.
 The java code does not read this system property!

I thus have two recommendations:

The quick and conservative one is to have the geronimo script set
oag.home.dir to GERONIMO_BASE, instead of setting oag.base.dir.

The more complex and radical recommendation is to remove GERONIMO_BASE
from the geronimo script, replacing it with GERONIMO_HOME.

Thanks,
Ted