geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Assemblies assemblies everywhere and which one to ship?
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:59:23 GMT
On Jan 12, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Here is my concern...Assume a downloads page that looks like this:
>

> Java Enterprise Edition Certified Releases
> - Tomcat Axis OpenJPA
> - Jetty CXF Cayenne
>
> Other Releases
> - Tomcat CXF OpenJPA
> - Jetty Axis Cayenne
>
> Minimal Assemblies
> - Tomcat ...
>
> There is a difference between being

Between being what? :-P

Personally I would love to see the downloads page have exactly 2
links to archives... one for a zip and another for a tgz, and that
single assemble can easily be configured to be minimal, tomcat,
jetty, javaee with any flavor you want.  I think we will need to
bless a specific configuration as JavaEE certified, but I don't think
we should have separate builds for that.  For 2.0 probably will have
to do that, but for post-2.0, I think we should focus on fixing the
need for all that build-time stuff to configure the server... and get
away from needing all those per-webcontainer configs, and have just
one assembly with a really easy way to configure what components it
uses.

--jason