geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: M2 : Assemblies [was Re: svn commit: r489358 - in /geronimo/server/trunk: configs/pom.xml pom.xml]
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 07:13:39 GMT
On Jan 2, 2007, at 8:11 PM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> After each report an attempt was made to fix the car plugin! These
> fixes tried to treat the symptoms and not the root cause of the
> problem.

No, there were some real problems with the car plugin, probably a few
more too.

> I believe the following change I have made is the only thing needed to
> fix all of the above problems. These were all caused because the
> version for the car plugin was left unspecified. It was left upto
> maven
> to pick an *available* version for the car plugin and use it to
> install
> the configs during assemblies! For details see:

I really don't think so.  I don't deny that not specifying the
version has left some uncertainly, but it certainly was not the cause
of all of the problems you reference below.

>    Numerous  problems have been reported with building 'assemblies'
> and
>
> with the server resulting from these assemblies. Here are some of
> them:
> Oct 19 -
> http://www.nabble.com/Assembly-is-caching-old-junk-p6907158.html
> Oct 31 -
> http://www.nabble.com/More-car-maven-plugin-changes...-p7107517.html

Why do you think that caching of old junk was related in any way to
the version of the car plugin being omitted?  Most of these problems
were actually in configs/* modules which did have the version specified.

The rest... well, I'm not really sure.  Some of this might be caused
by the version being ommited.  It would be interesting to know after
the change you made if anymore of these evil serialVersionUID errors
pop up.

> Nov17 -
> http://www.nabble.com/build-problems---GBeanInfo-serialVersionUID-
> tf2656539.html#a7410086
> Nov 28 -
> http://www.nabble.com/-jira--Created%3A-%28GERONIMO-2603%29-
> Building-1.2-if-there-are-2.0-artifacts-in-the-repo-results-in-
> mostly-2.0-artifacts-in-the-server.-tf2721824.html#a7590723
> Dec 14 - http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2663
> Dec 15 -
> http://www.nabble.com/Trunk-runtime-error-GBeanInstanceState--
> deserializing-GBeanState-tf2829126.html#a7948415
> Dec 20 - http://www.nabble.com/boilerplate-j2ee-Assembly-p7994691.html

Anyways, there were *real* problems with the car plugin.  The version
should have also been specified and its good you found that... but I
really don't think that all problems we have been seeing with cars
simply goes way by setting the version.  If only life was that
easy... I'm afraid its not.

--jason