geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Assemblies assemblies everywhere and which one to ship?
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:44:35 GMT
> How easy is it to install a set of plugins from the command-line?

The CLI provided by bin/deploy.sh provides an interactive shell for
this.  To list and install plugins from the Geronimo 2.0 plugin
repository type :

deploy.sh search-plugins http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/geronimo-2.0/

Or you can install a plugin file that you've downloaded to your local
filesystem by typing :

deploy.sh install-plugin PluginFile

If you've built geronimo locally then you can point this command at
the plugins under ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/geronimo/configs.

> And don't plugins require a remote repository to hold the archives?

A plugin can be installed from the local filesystem as shown above.

> While I think that this is good to allow installation of custom
> plugins, I don't think its good to use a remote repo to install
> system components.  I'd rather ship everything in one assembly, and
> then have a simple command-line tool to allow customization of what
> is installed.

You could tar up the org/apache/geronimo/configs portion of a maven
repo, add a catalog to the root of that repository (i.e.
geronimo-plugins.xml) and include that in geronimo's micro-G
distrbution.  Then users could use the CLI (or some installation
script we provide) to selectively install plugins using a file:// URL
that points at that local repository.

> I'm no expert on how plugins currently work, but it is my
> understanding that it is not that easy to configure a server to use a
> set of plugins from he command-line (or driven off of a configuration
> file).  For build automation and TCK testing it would be a PITA to
> require the console and then need to automate clicks to setup the
> right configuration for testing.

The console makes it easier to browse a plugin repository, but it is
not required to install plugins.