geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS - LDAP - Geronimo Plugins
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:40:49 GMT
OK now that I'm looking deeper into this things are becoming clearer.
 First of all, as you pointed out the directory module is already
included in the jee5 assembly, which I wasn't aware of.  Apparently
the commit that was supposed to have removed it from the dist only
updated the config.xml and not the pom, which seems to have left it in
the repo even though it's not listed in the server configuration.  Or
maybe just removing it from the config.xml was sufficient to prune it
from the dist before we started building with m2(?).   So at any rate,
its in the assembly now just not listed in config.xml or started by
default.

And I think you've already sniffed out the reason why the directory
plugin was marked as being available for install.  The version of the
plugin in the catalog was 2.0-M1-SNAPSHOT but in the repo it was
2.0-SNAPSHOT.  I've adjusted the catalog now so that it works with
trunk.  Please give it another try.  The plugin schema really needs
some work so that versioning is easier to handle.

Best wishes,
Paul

> Paul McMahan wrote:
> > On 1/11/07, Hernan Cunico <hcunico@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Howdy,
> >> download/install as a plugin.
> >
> > As far as I can tell the directory module was never removed from the
> > build.  It just got removed from the list of components that are
> > enabled in the tomcat and jetty assemblies.  See rev 412604.  A
>
> Time out! If I'm a user that only cares about the binary dist there is no way for me
to know that, am I right!?
> Either way, the service is already there in the assembly, it is just not starting by
default.

> > geronimo-plugin.xml file was also added to the directory module at
> > that time so that it could be exported as a plugin and offered from a
> > plugin repository.  But it doesn't have to be installed as a plugin,
> > you could reenable it in the assemblies just as well.  Same for the
> > other modules that used to be enabled in the assemblies by default
> > such as servlet and jsp samples, etc.
>
> This might be related to the issue you are seeing. At first I tried to export the already
available directory service but it was not listed for export in the modules pull-down menu
from the plugin portlet.

> >> So the question is what do we want to do with it, offer LDAP as part
> >> of the dist or separate as a plugin?
> >
> > Do you mean should it be reenabled in the default assemblies?
>
> It is already there, in the assemblies for 1.2 and trunk. I'm personally happy to have
it there and not having to install it as a plugin every time.
> Checking at the pom.xml in the assemblies directory for Tomcat and and Jetty you can
see

>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
>             <artifactId>directory</artifactId>
>             <version>${version}</version>
>             <type>car</type>
>         </dependency>
>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
>             <artifactId>ldap-realm</artifactId>
>             <version>${version}</version>
>             <type>car</type>
>         </dependency>
>

> > Strictly speaking its not required for JEE5 and if someone needs it
>
> Agreed, not required for JEE 5 but again, and personal view, nice to have ;-)
>
> > then its pretty easy to install as a plugin from the Geronimo plugin
> > repository at http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/.  Actually,
> > installing it as a plugin in this way is equivalent to reenabling it
> > in the assembly since that repository's catalog just points to the
> > maven repo where Geronimo's artifacts are published.  The plugin
> > approach just lets the user decide what Geronimo artifacts get enabled
> > in the assembly instead of the person that typed "mvn"  :-)
> >
> >> Another question is, if I already see it available in the build (fresh
> >> from trunk) why it still shows up as available for install in the
> >> Install Plugin portlet?
> >> (it will fail to install since the destination already exist)
> >
> > There might be an error in the plugin catalog.  If the module-id
> > that's listed in the catalog matches the module-id for a component
>
> yeah, I just realized the moduleId in the catalog is org.apache.geronimo.configs/directory/2.0-M1-SNAPSHOT/car
and the one already in the assembly is org.apache.geronimo.configs/directory/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car

> > that's already deployed in the server then it should not show us as
> > available.  Actually I wasn't able to install the plugin for a
> > different reason -- the 2.0-M1 configs published in the snapshot repo
> > aren't compatible with 2.0 any more.  Are you sure that's not related
> > to the error you're seeing?  If so then that should be fixed when we
> > republish the configs (hopefully later today).
>
> It could be a combination of the two errors, however it did fail the first time (installing
the plugin over the assembly with the service already there) complaining the destination already
existed. Haven't re-tested it yet.